This is going to be a short one, but I kind of enjoy making lists of my pet peeves, and I wanted this one to be about mental health. You might or might not know that I’ve suffered from anxiety most of my life (and GAD for a solid ten years), and while most people are supportive, there’s always that one bumhole (we’ll call her Linda for the purpose of this post) who’s going to make the most insensitive comment.
This is a compilation of the bumhole comments I’ve heard over the years. It’s not meant to be that deep and I hope it puts a smile on your face.
Disclaimer: If you or someone you love is experiencing a panic attack or suffer from anxiety, you can find help online.
Here is a non-exhaustive of the things people have said to me about anxiety:
- There’s nothing to worry about! (a cult classic)
- It’s all in your head! (Thanks, Linda. Have you considered applying for a Nobel Prize in Medicine?)
- Just take a deep breath and it’ll go away (Why haven’t I thought of that before?!)
- Why don’t you try to relax?
- You should probably just get a good night’s sleep.
- You’re anxious because you don’t have a boyfriend (this comment was made by the first psychiatrist I saw. He compellingly managed to be judgemental AND sexist.)
- Have you tried meditation?
- I get anxious when I have too much work too. (No, Linda. You’re just stressed. You should try meditation, by the way)
- Oh wow, you have anxiety? It really doesn’t show. (Should I roll on the floor so it looks more like an illness to you, Linda?)
- Other people have it worse! You are worried because you don’t have real problems to think about. (Not only are you not making me feel better, but you’re also making me feel guilty)
- Don’t worry, I’m kind of OCD sometimes, too.
- Want to come over and clean my house?
- You just need to learn to live with it (Yup, and I need to learn to live with you, Linda. I don’t know which is worse)
Feel free to pin this post!