July Favourites

makeup favourites

Well, I’m a beauty blogger, so I obviously have to start with makeup! I haven’t worn as much makeup as I would have liked to because of the heatwave (does it still qualify as a heatwave if it lasts a million years, I wonder), but there are some items that I have thoroughly enjoyed using on the days I did wear makeup.

A few weeks ago, I wrote a review about MAC Pro Longwear Concealer and extensively explained why I thought it was the best concealer I’d ever tried. Well, that is still true, obviously, and I just can’t get over the fact that it’s the only concealer that doesn’t budge all day or doesn’t make my under eye area like a crumpled sheet of paper.

Honestly, if you are still toying with the idea of giving it a go (here’s looking at you, Nathalie), you. have. to. try. it. (I’m shade NW20, by the way).

blogging tools

My favourite blogging tool lately has been Canva. In case you don’t know, it’s a graphic-design tool website that works with a drag-and-drop system to help you create beautiful designs for your blog. I’ve used it for a plethora of things: Pinterest graphics, infographics, some of my blog feature images, and the Twitter and Instagram pictures I use when I promote my posts.

Here’s an infographic that I’ve created for my blog:

Tips to stop a panic attack

There are many free features, of course, but if you want to enjoy Canva to the fullest, you’ll have to get a membership of $12.95 USD monthly. After using the free features for a few weeks and noticing how much I enjoyed it, I decided to take the plunge and go for the premium plan. I don’t regret it one bit.

Two months ago, in my May Favourites, I mentioned my adorable chocolate Labrador, Dexter. Tikka, our Border Collie, read the post and was reasonably upset that she hadn’t been chosen. I now have to make amends.

Tikka, I know I complain a lot about your energetic, relentless, demanding personality, but just know that I love you to bits and if I could go back in time and change anything about the day I decided to bring you into our home, I wouldn’t. You are the most amazing dog I have ever tried to hug (Tikka isn’t the cuddly kind, you see).

Cuddling is for the weak.

Queer Eye 2018 is a reboot of the series Queer Eye for the Straight Guy in which five gay men come and help a straight guy who needs a bit of help in life. Each one of the fab five has a field of expertise: food & wine, interior design, culture, fashion and grooming.

These guys have amazing personalities and always do everything with the utmost kindness and benevolence. If you’re anything like me, you’ll often find yourself getting teary eyed at the end of each episode.

source: Netflix

I don’t have much time to watch Netflix because my main source of entertainment is YouTube (and saying stupid things on Twitter). In my most recent favourites, I mentioned YouTube veteran Shane Dawson, but this month my favourite person to watch has been Jack Emory.

Jack is a 23-year-old self-taught makeup artist from the UK and he’s gained quite a bit of traction on Instagram these past three or four years. He’s incredibly talented and it’s no surprise that he has almost 500k followers on the platform.

A couple of years ago, he decided to start his YouTube channel. He does first impressions, reviews, tutorials and, you know, the whole beauty guru thing. For some reason, I find his voice soothing and his self-deprecating, sarcastic sense of humour irresistible.

If you’re into makeup and sarcasm, go and check him out!

What have you particularly enjoyed this month (apart from electric fans and air con)?

Here’s another Canva graphic. Feel free to pin it!

July Favourites

1. August 2, 2018 / 6:03 pm

Great pic’s! Your border collie is adorable. I’m going to check out the info-graph site. Thank you!

August 2, 2018 / 6:08 pm

Thanks for your comment!

2. July 31, 2018 / 4:38 pm

Love your picks! I need to get on Queer Eye ASAP! I know, I’m really late.

July 31, 2018 / 4:39 pm

Never too late!

3. July 29, 2018 / 9:57 pm

I’ve seen Queer Eye being advertised a lot but I had no idea it was a reality TV show! Checking it out now, thanks for sharing 🙂

Arshi | earthtoarshi.com

July 29, 2018 / 10:22 pm

Thanks for commenting!

4. July 29, 2018 / 8:48 pm

Queer Eye is actually the best thing on Netflix! It is so helpful to know about Canva, I had never heard of it but I am definitely going to look into it.

July 29, 2018 / 9:04 pm

Def. recommend it! Thanks for commenting!

5. July 29, 2018 / 5:08 pm

Loved this post, I also find Canva really useful and easy to use. I’m sure I could use it more for blogging though and this post has really inspired me too, your creations look lovely!

July 29, 2018 / 5:58 pm

Thanks for commenting 🙂

6. July 29, 2018 / 1:58 pm

Love this Kate, such a great mix of everything you’ve enjoyed. I also use Youtube as my main source for entertainment but my fav is RawBeautyKristi, so so so funny!

July 29, 2018 / 2:00 pm

One of her best friends, Samantha Ravndahl, is just as hilarious. I highly recommend her too!

7. July 29, 2018 / 12:47 pm

I have absolutely been LOVING Queer Eye! Also, never tried that MAC concealer but may have to give it a test now
    Jas xx

July 28, 2018 / 11:36 pm

god me neither!

8. July 28, 2018 / 8:47 pm

Lovely post! Canva has quickly became one of my favorites as well. Once you learn how to use it, it’s so awesome. Love the graphics you’ve made with it! 🤗

July 28, 2018 / 8:49 pm

Thanks. I’ve already told you I love yours too 🙂

9. July 28, 2018 / 4:24 pm

I love Queer Eye!! And definitely going to give Canva a try.. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

July 28, 2018 / 7:21 pm

It’s great and so easy to use! Thanks for commenting!

July 28, 2018 / 7:23 pm

PS, I’ve subbed to your mailing list :))

10. I really like your blog, I’m also really interested in how you’ve used Canva, it’s brilliant! I had a play around on it a month or so ago but didn’t realise you could get such great results🙂 I’m going to give it another go!

July 28, 2018 / 3:09 pm

As with all things, it takes a bit of fumbling around and getting used to. I didn’t really know how to use it well at first (not that I’m an expert of any kind), but I took the time to play around and realised the possibilities were endless. I highly recommend you give it another try! Thanks for your comment!

11. July 28, 2018 / 10:31 am

This is great! I’ve never heard of Canva, but I think I’ll have to try it! I now have to peruse your posts to find your other dog because Tikki is just so cute. Thanks for sharing your favorites!

• July 28, 2018 / 11:04 am

Oh my god Tikka, I can’t believe I misspelled her name. I’m so sorry! There’s something about border collies that make them so energetic, but chocolate labs are so sweet and reliable. They look like excellent companions. 🙂

July 28, 2018 / 2:33 pm

Yeah, they are very different but they do love each other 🙂

12. July 28, 2018 / 3:38 am

I’ve been using eraser eye forever but I think I’ll need to check Mac’s concealer out if it doesn’t look crumpled! I smile far too much and my face is very expressive so I’ve got crows feet at my wee age but I kinda like it lol.

“Let it happen.” That is really good advice. When you avoid it, it just gets worse. It’s the equivalent of repressing your emotions and not crying because it stops you from getting closure. Loving your infographics, looking forward to seeing more!

Tikka is a cutie pie! And what? A dog that doesn’t like to hug? Now that’s something you don’t hear every day. “Please, please, just give me a hug bud. Just one, okay. I beg.”

Oo, I need to get round to watching Queer Eye. And one of the guys is into fashion? Sold!

Damn, my guy slayed! That eye. 😍😍😍😍

July 28, 2018 / 10:33 am

I think you would really like QE!

• July 30, 2018 / 1:54 am

Eek! Hold on, I know you sent me a message on Twitter. Once I’m finished with replying to everyone on WP, I’m on it!

13. July 28, 2018 / 12:46 am

Love Canva and Queer eye. Shall we just get together chat makeup drink tea and watch Netflix?

July 28, 2018 / 1:54 am

Would be a pleasure, Shân 🙂

14. July 27, 2018 / 9:26 pm

I love Canva, so much easier to navigate than Photoshop!! ☺️

July 28, 2018 / 1:54 am

I don’t think I’ll ever have the patience to learn how to use photoshop. Even lightroom bores me to death lol
      It’s a pity because I’m sure they do wonders

Thanks for commenting 🙂

15. July 27, 2018 / 8:30 pm

I used Canva all the time. It’s a great tool. Another blogging tool I enjoy is a WordPress plugin called Revive Old Posts. I use it to tweet out “Seasoned Posts” that are 3 months old or older. It’s a great way to revive content, and you can exclude categories so that if you have say an event promotion, you don’t have to seem like you’re promoting it all over again 3 months later.

July 28, 2018 / 1:53 am

Oh wow, that’s great. I’m going to check it out tomorrow! (it’s almost 2am now)
      Thanks for commenting.

16. July 27, 2018 / 8:23 pm

Tikka is beautiful. I would love to do agility with my dog – she’s got border collie in her so I feel like she would be good at it. I love watching Netflix and Youtube as well. I mostly watch documentaries on Netflix and on YouTube it’s a lot of grocery hauls, cooking, decluttering and organizing videos. I agree that Canva is awesome.

July 28, 2018 / 1:52 am

Oh you have to try agility, BCs are naturally gifted (but I have to warn you: they run fast)
      Funny, I don’t watch food stuff on YT but I see the concepts (hauls, decluttering, etc.) are the same as makeup lol
      Thanks for commenting

17. July 27, 2018 / 8:19 pm

Aww Kate! I love your dogs names Tikka & Dexter! Tikka looks very energetic and lots of fun! Canva is my favourite app for Pinterest pins too, I love all the fonts and it’s so easy to use. Your graphics are fantastic! 💖 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

July 28, 2018 / 1:51 am

Thanks. I’m sure I can still improve my graphics but I’m happy with how they are atm
      Tikka is still busy doing border collie things (and it’s 1.51 am)

18. July 27, 2018 / 5:37 pm

Your blog is so engaging and professional. I’m not really a makeup person – because I’m beyond help, but I love reading your posts 😁

July 27, 2018 / 5:40 pm

You’re just too kind with me 😀