Lush Haul (How I survived the heat in Amsterdam)

I was recently talked into visiting Amsterdam for a day and found myself on the verge of death (I mean heat stroke) in the city centre (it was 32°C, my hair is almost black and I wasn’t wearing a hat). After a full blown panic attack, I left my now former best friend to visit the city alone so that she could post three pathetic snapshots on IG as I waddled back into the air conditioned Amsterdam Central station. I saw a Lush shop. Couldn’t resist. It was my first time and I know that makes me a lame beauty blogger, but what the hell. These are the four items that I bought and my thoughts on them…

Rock Star soap bar (link)

• has a wonderful sugary sweet smell
  • the smell lingers on the skin for hours. As a matter of fact, if I leave the bathroom door open, the smell will also travel down the corridor. Amazing.
  • leave your skin squeaky clean, you know, as soap bars do.
  • makes me want to have 5 showers a day (even when it’s not 35°C outside)

lush rock star soap bar

Whoosh Shower Jelly (link)

• contains: seaweed, citrus juices, rosemary, geranium oils. Smells mostly like citrus.
  • feels super refreshing and is (somewhat) fun to use
  • can be put in the fridge or freezer (but it won’t become solid) before use for an even more refreshing experience
  • I know I’m going to sound like I’ve been living under a rock, but using this shower jelly for the first time was quite the experience for me. So in case you’ve been living under another rock in the neighbourhood, just rub it on your skin, as you would a soap bar, and it’ll lather a little. Word of warning to my fellow clumsy people: it’s challenging.

lush whoosh shower jelly

Chocolate Lip Scrub (link)

• this one has a chocolate orange/tangerine taste and smell
  • it is really effective and leaves the lips super smooth
  • it’s edible and that’s problematic for someone like me

lush haul chocolate lip scrub

Sikkim Girls Solid Perfume (link)

• warm, exotic, jasmine smell
  • not the kind I would reach for usually, but I was somehow persuaded to buy it. Now I know I won’t ever wear it. I just like sugary smells too much, and this isn’t one.
  • staying power: well, it’s not Chanel.

lush solid perfume

I also got some free samples

• Dirty shower gel (haven’t had time to try it out yet, too obsessed with my Rock Star soap bar)
  • I love Juicy shampoo (just tried it and loved it!)
  • Dream Cream body and hands cream (very thick, probably too thick for summer, and I’m not a big fan of the smell)

lush haul samples

I’m thinking of going back to Lush. I regret not getting a solid shampoo. Any recommendations?

P-p-p-p-pin this!

lush paul p1

1. August 14, 2018 / 2:58 am

Hi Kate, I use the New Wash shampoo because I was becoming sick and tired of my hair being so lifeless and flat. I have fine and full hair with a lot of volume on account I have about 50 cowlicks on top of my head – ugh! They are sometimes unruly but sometimes very helpful when I want to sport a bouffant for a fun night out in DTLA. I have not tried the lush hair products but I am absolutely in love with their soaps and lotions. I stopped using their bath bombs for fear of rash down under, but I know their product line is fantastic. If you end up loving their shampoo to such a degree after some use, please share which you’d recommend. #askingforafriend 😜✌️

August 14, 2018 / 1:51 pm

I bought the full size I love Juicy and it’s really good. I also picked up a solid shampoo bar, but I’m struggling to get used to it.
      I yet have to try a conditioner I bought (forgot the name just now).

• August 14, 2018 / 8:15 pm

Come to think of it, I have tried the solid shampoo bar and I liked it. It had a lot of seeds in it through which I remember getting into my hair and wasn’t cute. Thanks for the info, Kate!

2. August 9, 2018 / 7:43 am

Oh my goodness kate I can’t believe this was your first lush visit! You must try their facial toner tabs, amazing.

August 2, 2018 / 11:53 pm

Thanks! It keeps slipping from my hands lol

3. August 2, 2018 / 4:49 pm

I love Lush and the Rockstar soap is incredible! I highly recommend smelling Rose Jam Shower Gel which is one of my personal favourites. Also if you can get to a Lush store close to christmas, they have the most amazing winter range and you will definitely find something you like x

August 2, 2018 / 4:50 pm

The Snow Fairy scent?

• August 2, 2018 / 7:12 pm

I actually don’t like Snow Fairy, I know most people do but it is far too sweet for me. Have you smelt it?

August 2, 2018 / 7:41 pm

No, I haven’t. I just know it’s sweet and that’s my kind of smell.

• August 3, 2018 / 1:32 pm

If you like the smell of Pear Drops (the sweets) you’ll like Snow Fairy, they smell exactly the same! I’m not a massive fan of pear drops which could be why I don’t like Snow Fairy but usually I like quite sweet scents.

August 3, 2018 / 2:00 pm

Oh. Pears. :(((

4. August 1, 2018 / 7:23 pm

I haven’t been to Lush either. Since smells trigger my migraine it is probably a good thing. But why no bath bombs? I thought that was what they are popular for!

Love this post! Being able to go to Amsterdam for the day sounds so glamorous to these American ears! Lol

August 1, 2018 / 7:48 pm

Hahaha I know. To us, it’s just dropping by your neighbour’s house for the afternoon.
      I didn’t buy any bath bombs because I don’t have a bath tub 🙂

• August 1, 2018 / 9:10 pm

That is a great reason not to buy bath bombs! I don’t think I could survive without a tub!

August 1, 2018 / 9:44 pm

You get used to it. Our shower is pretty rad, too. That helps 🙂

5. August 1, 2018 / 5:12 am

The chocolate lipscrub looks yummy!

August 1, 2018 / 9:29 am

Is it!

6. August 1, 2018 / 12:24 am

LUSH is my absolute go-to for haircare – I’ve gone through so many bottles of I love Juicy and Jumping Juniper shampoo bars. Karma Komba is another great shampoo bar – it isn’t quite as drying as the Jumping Juniper can be. Regardless of what shampoo bar you purchase, you should buy one of the metal tins to hold the bar or use your own travel tin. If the bar isn’t properly covered in the shower or if it is kept soaking in water, then it will quickly dissolve.

August 1, 2018 / 12:30 am

Thanks for the tip!
      I actually tried out the I love juicy sample I got this afternoon and my hair looks amazing. I’ve already placed an order online and it was the first item in the cart!
      I also ordered the happy happy joy joy conditioner and the lullaby solid shampoo!

7. July 31, 2018 / 11:32 pm

The lip scrub is an old reliable product for me, I’ve been meaning to try the soaps though so maybe I’ll pick it up next time I’m there!

July 31, 2018 / 11:50 pm

I love the soap! And that shampoo sample I got omg! My hair looks amazing!

8. BethRebecca
    July 31, 2018 / 10:36 pm

I love lush so much! I’ve literally never had a bad product from there!

Beth x | https://bethrebecca.com/

July 31, 2018 / 10:39 pm

Definitely going to try out more products very soon!

July 31, 2018 / 10:12 pm

I know omg… I’ve just placed another order on their website. Imma be broke.

9. July 31, 2018 / 8:56 pm

I reckon I could eat that entire pot of edible chocolate lip scub in under 24 hours.

July 31, 2018 / 9:20 pm

Give me 24 minutes.

10. July 31, 2018 / 7:52 pm

Lush is a complete treat! Love the bathbombs and can Hooghly recommend Godiva, lullaby and copperhead shampoo bars I couldn’t live without them and they leave your hair feeling amazing! I adore the fact you’ve reviewed Lush! My love for you at this moment knows no bounds!

July 31, 2018 / 8:09 pm

I want to buy everything. EVERYTHING.
      We don’t have a bathtub, so I’m very frustrated about not being able to buy bath bombs.

• July 31, 2018 / 8:25 pm

Can I smuggle some over to you somehow?

July 31, 2018 / 8:30 pm

We have a Lush shop in Brussels. I think they deliver as well, but I need to sniff things before I buy them. So I’m going to have to drag my big bum to Brussels.

• July 31, 2018 / 8:36 pm

I love the flying fox 🦊 shower gel but I don’t think I can get it any more. My nearest shop is 140 miles away 😭😭😭

July 31, 2018 / 8:37 pm

And their delivery is soooo expensive!

11. July 31, 2018 / 7:45 pm

I ‘spose we’ve been sharing that rock because I’ve never heard of shower jelly either. Wow, sounds interesting. I’m a shower gel kind of girl so I’ve always passed on the soap bars’s, but the one you picked up sounds awesome! I’m long overdue for a trip to Lush. Now, I’ve got some new things to check out. Thanks for sharing! (:

July 31, 2018 / 8:11 pm

They have tons of shower gels too :DDD
      Thanks for commenting!

12. July 31, 2018 / 7:15 pm

I never heard of shower jelly before now. It sounds like an interesting experience. I really have to try the chocolate lip scrub also. Thank you for sharing.