The Flawesome Award

Today I’ve decided to do the Flawesome award, which was created by Sophia, from Sophia Ismaa Writes. Here is, in her own words (which are so much better than mine), what the Flawesome Award is about:

“It’s time to celebrate the flaws that make you awesome.

How many times do we see an award that celebrates all things bright and shiny and sunny in a person? How often do we forget that our weaknesses can be a strength? Our flaws make us human, our flaws tell us more about who we are, and in turn we turn those flaws into awesome strengths. In short, our flaws make us #flawesome.

After nearly a decade of Tyra Banks telling me to celebrate my flaws, I decided to create an award that celebrates our own flaws.”

Rules:

1. Link back to the creator – Sophia Ismaa Writes
  2. Display the award
  3. List 3 flaws and turn it into a strength
  4. Tag 10 other people

3 Ways I Am Flawesome:

Like a lot of anxious people, I’m a total control freak, but that means I’m great at organising things.

Whatever needs to be organised, I’m your girl. You can always count on me to have the most intricate and efficient to-do lists. I’ll most likely sort my various to-do lists into categories, alphabetical or chronological order. I usually write my grocery shopping lists so that the items on it follow the same order as the aisles and nothing is left to chance.

I can be very distrustful sometimes, but that has protected me from ill-intentioned people.

The fact that I don’t jump into friendships right away (or at all) or that I’m very cautious when doing business with people has prevented my boyfriend and me from making deals with dishonest salespeople or contractors. We bought a house two years ago and I suppose it’s quite obvious to all sorts of contractors that we are still quite naive and unexperienced. Unfortunately, my distrust hasn’t kept us from getting ripped off each time, but I’ve been honing my skills.

Much like Sophia, I can’t focus on the same thing for very long, but I like to think that it makes me a dynamic teacher.

As I said in a previous post (Random Facts about me), I have the attention span of a hamster on LSD. I get bored very quickly and I usually need to do several things at the same time to be entertained. The fact that I can’t do the same thing for hours on end is visible in the way I prep my classes. My students don’t have time to get bored because I make sure my classes are dynamic and cover all sorts of topics and skills. I can do in-depth teaching when needs be, but I’m not the kind of teacher who will linger on the present perfect continuous for 3 hours straight. I also have the capacity to see when people are bored (a lot of teachers don’t, unfortunately) and move on to another activity when that’s the case.

I wasn’t easy for me to get started on this post as I found it hard to see what’s positive about my flaws. I realised while doing it that it’s actually great fun and very uplifting. I hope my nominees enjoy it as much as I do!

I’d like to nominate the following people

For Pinterest:

1. September 19, 2018 / 9:36 am

I haven’t been ignoring you – I really appreciate the nomination, thank you. I’ve been back to this over and over with the intention of completing it but the truth is, I can’t find a way to turn my flaws in to strengths! Perhaps I lack imagination or perhaps I am just too flawed?

September 19, 2018 / 9:38 am

No worries, Jessica. Just let it rest, I’m sure it’ll come to you naturally.
      I have a few ideas that could help, if you’re interested 🙂

September 19, 2018 / 8:49 am

Thanks for commenting!

2. September 10, 2018 / 7:26 pm

I really love the idea of this. I have received news today that I didn’t get the job that I went for last week but I am determined to make myself feel better. I will really enjoy thinking about this and writing my own post on the award. Thank you so much for the nomination.

Your answers are so great too. They really made me think and opened up so many more avenues for positive thought. I think it’s safe to say that my post will be heavily influenced by your response!

September 10, 2018 / 7:47 pm

Thanks, Duncan. It was really fun to do. It forces you to take a good positive look at yourself, and that’s something we don’t do often enough!

3. ruthinrevolt
    September 10, 2018 / 4:15 pm

I love the idea of this, and reading your choices was a lot of fun! I can relate to the anxiety leading to being more organised, as I’m a similar way. I have to know exactly what I’m doing and I think it winds people up sometimes, but it’s served me pretty well!

I can definitely see how not trusting people easily will have helped you along the way. I wouldn’t say I’m too trusting, but maybe too forgiving? I give people second, third, and fourth chances, even when I should just accept their true colours for what they are!

Amazing post 🙂

September 10, 2018 / 6:11 pm

Yup, over-organising everything winds up my boyfriend. But his over-relaxed approach to life sometimes drives me insane as well lol

4. September 10, 2018 / 4:00 pm

This is so wonderful! Taking something that could be such a negative and turning it on it’s head is such a powerful thing to do, I really enjoyed reading this.

Cordelia

September 10, 2018 / 6:10 pm

Thanks, babe!

5. September 8, 2018 / 11:08 am

congratulations! you are so sorted and well balanced.. I liked your post.. fun way to know you better!

September 8, 2018 / 1:56 pm

Thanks!

6. September 8, 2018 / 12:02 am

Love this. ❤️ I was originally going to write in something about being bossy (the complaints I get from my family) all the while thinking “I’m not bossy, I’m the boss.” And that is FLAWESOME. 🔆
    You did amazing, these are all inspiring strengths. 👯‍♀️❤️

September 8, 2018 / 12:04 am

Thanks! I really enjoyed doing it.
      I like to think I’m both bossy *and* the boss.