Makeup Misc.

Unpopular Makeup Opinions

Here are things that irritate me about the makeup industry, makeup application, makeup trends or just makeup in general. This is meant to be light-hearted, so don’t feel offended if I mention something you truly enjoy. You do you and I do me. No shaming, no shading.

I’m not even sure these opinions are totally unpopular, but let the girl have fun once in a while.

By the way, if you’re into grumpy rants, have a look at my pet peeves, online pet peeves, and mental health pet peeves.

Trends

• Matte liquid lipsticks make my mouth look like a dehydrated anus
  • I don’t have time for a cut crease at 6 in the morning (or any time of day, for that matter) Who does cut creases on the daily?
  • I don’t want to spend 20 minutes on each eye brow to feel like I’m a worth makeup enthusiast.
  • Super glittery highlighters make me look like a disco ball with enlarged pores
  • Putting highlighter on the tip of my nose makes me look like a middle-aged Tinkerbell.
  • Under-eye baking.
  • I think the Makeup Revolution Conceal and Define concealer is crap

Makeup tools

• I hate eyeshadow pans that don’t have a standard/circular size and just fuck up your entire magnetic palette symmetry (here’s looking at you, Nathalie)
  • Why would anyone want to buy makeup brushes that shed or that are scratchy (I mean Morphe brushes)?
  • How do you store double-ended brushes without forgetting about the other side?
  • Mini brushes are just too short. I can never find them among my other brushes.
  • Being a member of the OCD Club, I have a hard time accepting that my Beauty Blender will never be 100% clean, no matter how hard I rub, scrub and squeeze it.

Application

• That one wet bit of mascara landing on under your eye. Just on that one day your concealer wasn’t creasing.
  • Spending 40 minutes blending eyeshadows and thinking eyeliner would be a great addition to that look. You will fuck it up.

People

• People telling you you’d look better if you didn’t wear so much makeup and, on the odd day you’re not wearing makeup, asking you if you’re under the weather.
  • Men who think women look better with less makeup on: we don’t wear makeup for you, you are not the centre of the universe
  • Beauty youtubers who do makeup tutorials with a filter on their camera lens and the saturation amped up to the gods.
  • Youtubers who just cannot do an eye look without a cut crease/huge falsies/winged eyeliner to “complete this look”
  • Sales people who match your foundation by swatching it on your wrist.
  • People who don’t know or don’t like John Maclean will never truly understand me.

unpopular makeup opinions

You Might Also Like

Sophia Ismaa
    December 1, 2018 at 4:22 am

Perfecting a cut crease is like level 100 makeup skills. *sweats*
    You don’t like highlighting the tip of your nose? 🤭 I feel like my look isn’t complete until I do it!
    Doing your eyeliner in a rush is the only time it works out well… otherwise, if you’re taking your time, just know the eyeliner can smell our fear.
    I feel like, just for fun and social experimenting, if a guy tells us we don’t need makeup, we should just throw a strop there and then, stomp our feet and say: “OH, NO. I did this all for you and you’re telling me you don’t like it. HOW WILL I LIVE?” Proceed to crying. 🙂

Kate
      December 1, 2018 at 7:55 pm

LOL

When my boyfriend tells me he doesn’t like such or such shade of red, I just reply “don’t wear it, then” hahahah

Sophia Ismaa
        December 7, 2018 at 3:53 am

LOOOOOOL I have to try that one out one day 😂

theadventuringemily
    November 14, 2018 at 5:28 pm

Almost choked on my coffee reading your opinion on matte lipstick 🤣🤣 Thanks for keeping it real!

Kate
      November 14, 2018 at 6:08 pm

heheh thanks! (it’s true, though!)

phigella
    November 14, 2018 at 1:04 pm

Love this Kate! I agree with so many of them, I also think the Makeup Revolution Conceal and Define concealer is crap, unless you use it as an eyeshadow base.

Kate
      November 14, 2018 at 2:15 pm

Thanks. I think it suits 20-year-olds perfectly, but not people with fine lines, etc.

Bexa
    November 13, 2018 at 2:24 pm

Ha ha!! This post is so funny and refreshingly honest to read, I love it! The dehydrated anus, middle-aged Tinkerbell, and disco ball with enlarged pores comments made me laugh so much, you have such an amusing way with words. I don’t wear much makeup so actually have no idea what a cut crease is but it sounds like hard work. I love your grumpy rants Kate, they always make me smile. Thanks for sharing, it is so nice to read a fun and lighthearted makeup related post in a world where everyone seems to take beauty so seriously <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa

Kate
      November 14, 2018 at 2:16 pm

Thanks, Bexa. And thank for always taking the time to leave such thoughtful comments. Love that about you!

Ruth
    November 13, 2018 at 8:15 am

This made me laugh, even as a non makeup wearer! I loved how frank you were and some of your descriptions, like “matte liquid lipsticks make my mouth look like a dehydrated anus” made me laugh out loud. I have a friend who regularly gets the too much makeup or you look ill comments, bless her.

Kate
      November 13, 2018 at 10:32 am

Last night, for the first time, I wasn’t wearing makeup when I went to see my physio and he asked me what was wrong because I looked tired.

Chanelle
    November 13, 2018 at 5:39 am

Hehe some of these are funny!

Kate
      November 13, 2018 at 10:31 am

Thanks 🙂

Cordelia Moor
    November 12, 2018 at 6:24 pm

John MacLean, lord of my life, the one person who I will trust on every single level no matter what he is saying. Also – pretty much totally agree. Am a matte liquid lip gal, although will always prefer a glossy finish.

Cordelia || cordeliamoor.com

Kate
      November 12, 2018 at 7:19 pm

If he ever does another masterclass in London, I’m coming over and staying at your place. You don’t have a choice. Thanks.

katesbeautyhome
    November 12, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Love this, It’s nice to read a good old moan about certain aspects of the make up life. I completely agree on the cut crease, there is no chance I can get that done before the school run haha. I am a massive fan of a matte liquid lip though, it’s just one of my things.
    Kate x

Kate
      November 12, 2018 at 4:36 pm

haha I know you like them, they just look awful on me.

the cut crease is just too much work, especially since I have hooded eyes!

katesbeautyhome
        November 12, 2018 at 4:43 pm

Me too if I did a cut crease to the little line the concealer leaves and make a fake crease it’s almost at my brow line 😂😂 x

Kate