If you’ve enjoyed my blog

Unpopular Makeup Opinions

Here are things that irritate me about the makeup industry, makeup application, makeup trends or just makeup in general. This is meant to be light-hearted, so don’t feel offended if I mention something you truly enjoy. You do you and I do me. No shaming, no shading.

I’m not even sure these opinions are totally unpopular, but let the girl have fun once in a while.

By the way, if you’re into grumpy rants, have a look at my pet peeves, online pet peeves, and mental health pet peeves.

Trends

• Matte liquid lipsticks make my mouth look like a dehydrated anus
  • I don’t have time for a cut crease at 6 in the morning (or any time of day, for that matter) Who does cut creases on the daily?
  • I don’t want to spend 20 minutes on each eye brow to feel like I’m a worth makeup enthusiast.
  • Super glittery highlighters make me look like a disco ball with enlarged pores
  • Putting highlighter on the tip of my nose makes me look like a middle-aged Tinkerbell.
  • Under-eye baking.
  • I think the Makeup Revolution Conceal and Define concealer is crap

Makeup tools

• I hate eyeshadow pans that don’t have a standard/circular size and just fuck up your entire magnetic palette symmetry (here’s looking at you, Nathalie)
  • Why would anyone want to buy makeup brushes that shed or that are scratchy (I mean Morphe brushes)?
  • How do you store double-ended brushes without forgetting about the other side?
  • Mini brushes are just too short. I can never find them among my other brushes.
  • Being a member of the OCD Club, I have a hard time accepting that my Beauty Blender will never be 100% clean, no matter how hard I rub, scrub and squeeze it.

Application

• That one wet bit of mascara landing on under your eye. Just on that one day your concealer wasn’t creasing.
  • Spending 40 minutes blending eyeshadows and thinking eyeliner would be a great addition to that look. You will fuck it up.

By the way, if you’ve enjoyed this post or my blog, consider voting for me in the upcoming UK Blog Awards. Click here for my voting page

People

• People telling you you’d look better if you didn’t wear so much makeup and, on the odd day you’re not wearing makeup, asking you if you’re under the weather.
  • Men who think women look better with less makeup on: we don’t wear makeup for you, you are not the centre of the universe
  • Beauty youtubers who do makeup tutorials with a filter on their camera lens and the saturation amped up to the gods.
  • Youtubers who just cannot do an eye look without a cut crease/huge falsies/winged eyeliner to “complete this look”
  • Sales people who match your foundation by swatching it on your wrist.
  • People who don’t know or don’t like John Maclean will never truly understand me.

unpopular makeup opinions

1. December 1, 2018 / 4:22 am

Perfecting a cut crease is like level 100 makeup skills. *sweats*
    You don’t like highlighting the tip of your nose? 🤭 I feel like my look isn’t complete until I do it!
    Doing your eyeliner in a rush is the only time it works out well… otherwise, if you’re taking your time, just know the eyeliner can smell our fear.
    I feel like, just for fun and social experimenting, if a guy tells us we don’t need makeup, we should just throw a strop there and then, stomp our feet and say: “OH, NO. I did this all for you and you’re telling me you don’t like it. HOW WILL I LIVE?” Proceed to crying. 🙂

December 1, 2018 / 7:55 pm

LOL

When my boyfriend tells me he doesn’t like such or such shade of red, I just reply “don’t wear it, then” hahahah

• December 7, 2018 / 3:53 am

LOOOOOOL I have to try that one out one day 😂

2. November 14, 2018 / 5:28 pm

Almost choked on my coffee reading your opinion on matte lipstick 🤣🤣 Thanks for keeping it real!

November 14, 2018 / 6:08 pm

heheh thanks! (it’s true, though!)

3. November 14, 2018 / 1:04 pm

Love this Kate! I agree with so many of them, I also think the Makeup Revolution Conceal and Define concealer is crap, unless you use it as an eyeshadow base.

November 14, 2018 / 2:15 pm

Thanks. I think it suits 20-year-olds perfectly, but not people with fine lines, etc.

4. November 13, 2018 / 2:24 pm

Ha ha!! This post is so funny and refreshingly honest to read, I love it! The dehydrated anus, middle-aged Tinkerbell, and disco ball with enlarged pores comments made me laugh so much, you have such an amusing way with words. I don’t wear much makeup so actually have no idea what a cut crease is but it sounds like hard work. I love your grumpy rants Kate, they always make me smile. Thanks for sharing, it is so nice to read a fun and lighthearted makeup related post in a world where everyone seems to take beauty so seriously <3 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa

November 14, 2018 / 2:16 pm

Thanks, Bexa. And thank for always taking the time to leave such thoughtful comments. Love that about you!

5. November 13, 2018 / 8:15 am

This made me laugh, even as a non makeup wearer! I loved how frank you were and some of your descriptions, like “matte liquid lipsticks make my mouth look like a dehydrated anus” made me laugh out loud. I have a friend who regularly gets the too much makeup or you look ill comments, bless her.

November 13, 2018 / 10:32 am

Last night, for the first time, I wasn’t wearing makeup when I went to see my physio and he asked me what was wrong because I looked tired.

6. November 13, 2018 / 5:39 am

Hehe some of these are funny!

November 13, 2018 / 10:31 am

Thanks 🙂

7. Cordelia Moor
    November 12, 2018 / 6:24 pm

John MacLean, lord of my life, the one person who I will trust on every single level no matter what he is saying. Also – pretty much totally agree. Am a matte liquid lip gal, although will always prefer a glossy finish.

Cordelia || cordeliamoor.com

November 12, 2018 / 7:19 pm

If he ever does another masterclass in London, I’m coming over and staying at your place. You don’t have a choice. Thanks.

8. November 12, 2018 / 2:33 pm

Love this, It’s nice to read a good old moan about certain aspects of the make up life. I completely agree on the cut crease, there is no chance I can get that done before the school run haha. I am a massive fan of a matte liquid lip though, it’s just one of my things.
    Kate x

November 12, 2018 / 4:36 pm

haha I know you like them, they just look awful on me.

the cut crease is just too much work, especially since I have hooded eyes!

• November 12, 2018 / 4:43 pm

Me too if I did a cut crease to the little line the concealer leaves and make a fake crease it’s almost at my brow line 😂😂 x

November 12, 2018 / 7:20 pm