Makeup Misc.

Makeup I regret buying

makeup i regret buying

Call me an impulsive buyer or a fomo sufferer, but there’s a portion of my makeup collection that I often look at with a deep sense of regret, disappointment or self-contempt. Here is a non-exhaustive list of makeup I regret buying.

Makeup Revolution – Reloaded Iconic Division

I own quite a few of Revolution’s Reloaded palettes, and I actually reviewed one of them here, but this pseudo ABH Subculture dupe is by far one of the most disappointing products in my collection. I don’t have Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture palette, but I intend to buy it someday despite how badly it was trashed by influencers. Even if it does end up being substandard, I don’t think it’ll ever be as lacklustre as Makeup Revolution’s Iconic Division. The pigmentation is almost non-existent and the green shades that should make it interesting are boring and blend away into nothing. I know it’s only $7, but I’d rather buy myself a coke and a sandwich with that money.

makeup revolution iconic division makeup i regret buying

Morphe Fluidity Foundation

If you have spent any length of time on YouTube you might have come across a couple of reviews of this foundation. Let me tell you: they were bad. Even Morphe affiliates found it hard to say anything good about it. I bought this foundation just so that I could see for myself how it performed. Not going to go into details here because my review spoke for itself, but spoiler alert: I wasn’t happy.

M.A.C. Cosmetics pro performance pro

My main beef with it is that it costs $19 and doesn’t even come close to the Beauty Blender. As a matter of fact you can buy Beauty Blender sponges from the M.A.C. website. Another issue is that it remains quite hard, even when it’s damp. Its only good point is its pointy shape (no pun), which will allow you to apply products is smaller areas. Better so than the Beauty Blender? Nope. It doesn’t even come close to Real Techniques sponges.

makeup i regret buying

Colourpop – Ultra Satin lip

This one breaks my heart because I have long history of loving Colourpop. My No Filter Liquid and Stick Foundation and No Filter Concealer reviews are some of my most popular posts.

makeup i regret buying
Shade: First of All

The shade is beautiful and the lipstick initially applies really well. The problem is with how long it lasts (read: doesn’t) and how ungracefully it fades. After just a few hours, it dries out and leaves your lips all crusty. Very unflattering.

Makeup Revolution – Conceal and Define Concealer

Probably the most unpopular opinion here. I just can’t seem to make it work. It creases more quickly than I can reach out for a setting powder. I also reviewed this product months ago, feel free to have a look at why it doesn’t suit my aging undereyes. I have thought of decluttering it this year (I own it in three shades, that’s how desperate I am to make it work), but I might give it an umpteenth chance.

Morphe Brushes – Morphe M514

There are so many people out there making a profit out of selling you Morphe Brushes that it’s hard to tell whether they’re worth it or not. I ordered this M514 at the same time as the Boss Mood palette. It doesn’t do an awful job blending eyeshadows. However, it feel very scratchy and unpleasant on the eyes. Also, it looks scruffier after each wash.

makeup i regret buying
Top: MAC 221
Bottom: M514

That’s all for the makeup I regret buying. Are there any products you wish you’d never wasted money on? Leave a comment below.

Share this post on Pinterest:

You Might Also Like

Shayna Kapple
    March 8, 2019 at 4:41 pm

I have the Subculture palette and LOVE it!! I didn’t understand why influencers were so hard on it. Perhaps I got a better batch because that can definitely happen! It does have some fallout but I just use a little at a time and make sure to tap off my brush before applying. I’d definitely recommend giving it a try!!

March 9, 2019 at 2:04 pm

Thanks for your comment. I’m sure I will purchase it before they eventually take it off the shelves because the color scheme is just so special.
      Also, I really like ABH palettes and I’d love to have the whole collection. Are you going to purchase the new Riviera palette?

The Newbury Girl
    February 16, 2019 at 12:55 am

Great post, Kate! It’s always such a bummer to buy products that don’t work out but I always love how you’re 100% honest with everything you try. I’ve actually never tried anything from Morphe or Makeup Revolution. It’s such a shame that the MR palette didn’t work out because that color story is gorgeous. I don’t think I’ll ever buy anything from Morphe, but I may try something from MR in the future (but only if I can get to an Ulta to test it out in-store).

Also, I feel the same way about CP liquid lip products (esp. the matte lip products). I don’t reach for a ton of liquid lipsticks as a whole, but of those I’ve tried the CP product was a fail for me too. I’m trying one of the creme bullet lipsticks though!

February 16, 2019 at 6:09 pm

Oh, what do you think of the bullet lipstick so far?

The Newbury Girl
        February 25, 2019 at 7:32 am

So sorry for the delay!! I’m loving it so far!!

Sometimes I hate how much I love CP lol!

glamourwithchristine
    February 15, 2019 at 5:06 pm

I haven’t had any luck with Revolution palettes. And the beauty blender! Ugh .. I bought one a year and once out of the package was hard and never softened.. Ever. I even say on it for awhile hoping to soften it up. Nope. Love your blog entries!!!! Xx

February 15, 2019 at 8:42 pm

Thanks <333

Cordelia Moor
    February 12, 2019 at 1:12 pm

I stopped buying Revolution palettes because they are SO unpredictable & I just don’t have the space to have a makeup dud lying around. Luckily, I’ve so far not bought something I absolutely cannot make work, which I am quite grateful for. Honestly, for me, the biggest regret was buying an actual beauty blender, for the price I much prefer the RT sponge (but I use it to apply cream blush now, and that works nicely)

Cordelia || cordeliamoor.com

February 13, 2019 at 6:45 pm

I love the RT sponges are well. I’ve been told the L’Oreal ones are great as well, but I haven’t come across them anywhere.
      I’ve stopped buying MUR palettes as well. There are so many affordable brands out there doing a much better job.

simplyanjhanee
    February 11, 2019 at 11:52 pm

I’ve yet to hear a single good review on Morphe’s foundation, and the fact that SO many people cram their codes and ‘wonderful’ reviews on their brushes down your throat makes me so hesitant to purchase any?! I just got the Makeup Revolution 4 Palette, but I’ve yet to play with it so I’m hoping that the shades are much more pigmented than the Reloaded Iconic. It’s awful when a palette is prettier just sitting in the pan, than it is applied. I don’t own many (maybe 1 or 2) of Colourpop’s Satin finishes, but the Matte finishes are some of my favorites. Sucks that such a gorgeous shade is totally unwearable due to the formula being bad. Great post! Thank you so much for sharing. (:

February 13, 2019 at 6:46 pm

I can’t wait to see what you think of that MUR 4 palette and how you think it compares to Colourpop!

Chanelle
    February 11, 2019 at 8:19 am

That lip colour is so beautiful, shame about the lack of lasting power. Despite not being a fan of the Revolution palette, would you consider trying Subculture? Do you like the colours/shades?

February 13, 2019 at 6:47 pm

I would actually. I find the colours interesting and like nothing else I own. I’m also generally very happy with ABH eyeshadows!

Chanelle
        February 13, 2019 at 7:54 pm

At least the Revolution palette was a learning curve! Every time I see the Sultry palette from ABH it gets more beautiful 🙂

February 15, 2019 at 8:43 pm

I love it more each time I use it!

molly rose
    February 11, 2019 at 7:52 am

This was so interesting to read, thank you for making this list as now I know what products to steer far away from! I have no time (nor money) to waste on those kinda products haha. That sponge honestly looks a bit crazy, not surprised it didn’t work for you!

February 13, 2019 at 6:47 pm

Thanks for your comment!

jenna
    February 10, 2019 at 11:20 pm

Great post – too bad these products didn’t turn out to be good! It totally sucks that the MAC $19 sponge wasn’t good… That’s way too much to spend to be disappointed.
    -Jenna ♥
    Stay in touch? The Chic Cupcake | The Chic Cupcake Instagram

February 13, 2019 at 6:47 pm

Thanks for your comment!

Colleen
    February 10, 2019 at 4:05 pm

I’ve heard so many bad things about that Morphe foundation! And I agree with the 514 brush. Mine is so scraggly now 😩

February 10, 2019 at 6:35 pm

I’ve made a vow not to buy anything Morphe ever again.

Colleen
        February 10, 2019 at 6:39 pm

I like some of their brushes…and some eye shadow palettes, but it’s too hit-or-miss for my taste, too.

February 10, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Same. Too unreliable. Plus I find them to behave in shady ways, sometimes.

ellesecrit
    February 10, 2019 at 12:26 pm

I find Revolution’s palettes to be very hit or miss. The pigmentation is getting better, but I own some old ones that barely do anything.

February 10, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Are there any new ones you would recommend?